Networking and Branding
Networking is building mutually beneficial relationships. It involves both seeking and sharing information, advice and referrals.
Why is networking more effective in finding a great job than sending out a resume to an employer you've never met?
- Approximately 80% of jobs are in the non-advertised "hidden job market."
- Employers are more likely to interview someone whose work and reputation they know, either directly or indirectly.
- You learn about career opportunities, work environments, best practices, hot topics and challenges, and key players in your career field.
- You can showcase information, accomplishments, passions and skills that you may not be asked in an interview.
- You strengthen your professional reputation or "brand."